How to Remove Mold from Popcorn Ceilings

To remove mold from popcorn ceilings is a challenge because it is textured. There are many nubs and angles that the mold attaches to. Cleaning it and keeping it free of ceiling mold can be very difficult. Mold removal without damaging the ceiling is tough, but with the right strategy, you can eliminate mold from your popcorn ceiling without hiring a professional mold abatement company.

What you will need:
▪    Anti-mold solution
▪    Goggles
▪    Respirator
▪    Duster
▪    Rubber Gloves
▪    Water
▪    Spray Bottle
▪    Sponge
▪    Cloth
▪    Bucket
▪    Elbow Grease

1 – Preparing to remove mold from popcorn ceilings

Wear rubber gloves and goggles to protect your skin and eyes. A respirator mask is advisable so you don’t inhale spores. Disposable work wear and something to cover your head is sensible. Isolate the area so others are not in contact with spores that you may make airborne when cleaning.

2 – Prepare the Solution

Mix your anti-fungal solution in a spray bottle. Some commercial solutions omit strong fumes which is why so be sure the area is well ventilated. Open windows or vent outside if possible.

remove mold from popcorn ceilings3 – The Cleaning Process

Spray the anti-mold solution onto the moldy surface and let it sit for half an hour. Allow it to partially dry.

Rinse it off with a clean damp cloth. If you are lucky you will remove the  mold from popcorn ceilings, Chances are though that you will need to repeat the process

Do not use chlorine bleach. It will bleach the surface but the mold will still be there. We strongly recommend using oxygen bleach though. It is non-toxic and will actually kill mold. It is environmentally friendly.

You will be able to find strong chemical anti-fungals at hardware stores. They may not actually be much more effective than oxygen bleach or vinegar solutions to remove mold from popcorn ceilings. Here are some recommended dilutions for vinegar:

Mix 3 parts vinegar to 2 parts water (such as 3 tablespoons vinegar to 2 tablespoons water, or for larger areas, 1 cup vinegar to 2/3 cup water) in a bowl or measuring cup. It won’t hurt to use full vinegar, but it’s not necessarily and diluting it with water saves resources and money.

Or try Hydrogen Peroxide 3% solution, if you get the food grade 35% thin it down with water.